The History of NTCG Harvest Temple, Wolverhampton
The New Testament Church of God (NTCG) is Britain’s most widely spread Black Majority Church and has operated in the UK since 1953. NTCG is a member of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland (CTBI) and the Evangelical Alliance. It is affiliated to Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee, USA, which is a worldwide organisation of Churches in approximately 178 nations and territories with over 7 million members.
NTCG Harvest Temple in Wolverhampton held it first public service on Sunday 20th September 1953, at the YMCA centre on Stafford Street, Wolverhampton with seven people: Revd O.A. and Mrs R. Lyseight, Mr Herman D. and Mrs Brown, Mr G. Peddie, Mrs C. Salmon and Mr Cyprian Dundas. It was the very first of a network of over 100 NTCG churches to be established in the UK. The growing church raised funds and built a small church in Nursery Street, that was opened on the 27th January 1962 by the then Chief Constable of Wolverhampton, Mr. N. Goodchild.
The present church building, formerly known as St. Barnabas Church of England on Wednesfield Road in Heath Town, was purchased by NTCG Wolverhampton and opened in July 1972. The ‘Travellers Rest’ Public House on the corner of Wolverhampton and Woden Road was purchased in 1996, at a time when the pub was renowned for police drug raids. It was renamed the ‘New Trust Centre’ and opened in April 1997 to provide community support programmes such as the Community Food Bank, Senior Citizens Club, Youth Club, Easter and Summer Play Schemes, etc.
NTCG Harvest Temple is currently in pursuit of Planning Permission to build a new Worship Centre. The church recently completed the purchase of an industrial site 50 metres from the New Trust Centre to further expand and enhance its ministry. You can follow the progress of this exciting journey by clicking on the image below.